Thursday, July 30, 2009

More Bounce to the Ounce (Part Duex)

Not long ago, Pirate posted a report detailing his experiences on a couple of Trek family mountain bikes....the Remedy and the HiFi Pro 29er. Well, I'm not too big of a 29er rider just yet.....but I am a big fan of the 6" travel bike. While my "current" personal bike is a 4" travel 2009 Specialized Epic, I've come to fall in love with the uber efficient longer travel bikes for Colorado. While Pirate's test was on reported tight and technical trails, a majority of my riding here thus far is on trail systems with long climbs and super fast rolling descents with drops and 65' doubles.....(just kidding on the last part).

Anyways, what I am trying to say is that just wait for 2010 and what is coming on suspension technology! Fox's Boost valve on Treks and Yetis are making 6" bikes climb like 4" bikes and descend like DH bikes. Perfect! Specialized has partnered with Fox and Rock Shox to manufacture key shocks and forks for their Pro and S-Works level mountain bikes. (Stay tuned for detailed 2010 Enduro and Stumpjumper FSR reports).

Now the big question for 2010 is which bike is next? The Epic needs a big brother. The video below shows some recent "playing" with one of the contenders.

1 comment:

DukePirate said...

Good to see that you were rocking the baggies on the big bike. I've heard a rumor that riding a 6" travel bike in spandex will cause an inversion of the space-time continuum, possibly causing a spontaneous black hole and the end of life as we know it. Consider yourself warned.

I'm still not sold on the big bike thing, as I feel like it's too often used as a crutch. I'm not saying that you're doing that -- I've seen you ride enough to know that you're not -- but it does seem like the 'buy-in' for some hard rides is now purely financial and not based (as much) on skill and fitness.

Then again, maybe I'm just being a techno-grouch, I dunno. Trail building has certainly evolved along with bikes, though, meaning that there are more big-travel trails out there. Again, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but that's a musing for another time.

How about some more reviews of all of the bikes you've been riding lately?