Tuesday, July 28, 2009

HTFU Award: George Hincapie

It turns out that Big George broke his collarbone on crash in Stage 17. He went on to finish the stage, refuse an x-ray, ride the time trial the next day, ride two more stages -- one up Ventoux -- and then finish in Paris.


Check out the story on CyclingNews here (which is also where I stole the photo above). Here's his quote before heading to the starting line the day after his wreck:

"It’s about survival," he said. "I don't know if can even get down in the time trial position. It’s about survival and to get better in the next few days. I rode the last 70km injured yesterday but I was able to ride, I was in pain but I could get out of the saddle. I'm hoping I can do the same in the next few days."

Yeah, he survived all right. Big props to the big guy!

No comments: