Sunday, March 16, 2008

Making time to ride for the family man

Let's face it, cycling is a hobby that takes up alot of free time. That's tough on my wife and son sometimes because it can interfere with quality time together. Here are a couple of ways I stay on the bike without losing much time with them. Commuting is a great way to kill two birds with one stone. I've got to get to work so why not do it on the bike instead of in the car. My commute is about 12mi each way which takes me 45min on the bike and at least 15min in the car (best case traffic). Yeah I have to get up a little earlier but I only miss 30min of time with my family in the afternoon. Lots of side benefits too like the money saved on gas, less mileage on my car, and I just feel better at work when I ride in. Another great ride for me is to hook up my son's sidecar and take him with me. We can get about 18mi hitting all the adjoining neighborhoods without doubling up any streets. Not only does Luke love it, but Trisha really likes the alone time she gets while the boys are out on an adventure. Sometimes we'll load up the rig and head to Umstead for a change of scenery. I'm really looking forward to the day when he can hold himself up on a trail-a-bike.

3 comments:

DukePirate said...

I really like the sidecar, and I can imagine that it keeps him pretty happy. Was this a Sunday-afternoon-recovering-from-party-hangover-ride, by any chance?

Unknown said...

i wanna ride in the sidecar.

jd said...

yeah, I was the hungover one who only got about 4hours of sleep yet Luke was the one sleeping while I pedaled him around. kids these days. if only cohutta had a sidecar category, I could pedal the first 50 and brian could pedal the last 50 while I ride shotgun.