Monday, July 12, 2010

Adios to Ali

Greeting Blogosphere...

This week Durham is losing a truly wonderful member of the community to the Garden State. True, Ali has been given an opportunity to teach at one of the finest learning instutions in the nation, and he finally has a use for that 1978 T top Camero that he's been eyeing on Craigs list. But alas he is a charter member and founding father of Bull City Cycling and he will be missed greatly.

As the weekend rolled through at the seemingly normal frenetic pace, I had the opportunity to reflect on some of the "Ali" moments that have been burned into my memory. My first ride with him in which he quitely ripped my legs off at Beaverdam. The long road rides cascading through the neighboring counties of North Carolina. The horrific crash that ended up in an emergency room visit to Duke and most recently a weekend trip suffering on the mountain roads of NC. Through it all, the one constant has been a solid bike rider, good conversation and an easy going attitude.

I am conflicted as I am very happy for his success but selfishly want him to stay. Ali, I am sure that I speak for all that have spent time with you during your stay in Durham, Good Luck in all that you do, keep riding and stay in touch!

Adios my friend.

1 comment:

felonious said...

Thanks Ben and everyone else who came to my send off get together and for this post. I found both very touching.